- 3 thick-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 1 cup diced onion (1 medium onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh or thawed frozen butterbeans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
How to Make It
Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 8 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Add onion, garlic, and bay leaf; cook, stirring often, 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
Add bell pepper; cook, stirring often, 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, if desired, and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes.
Add chicken broth and butterbeans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
Uncover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring often. Stir in salt and next 3 ingredients. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with cooked bacon.