Butter Lettuce and Egg Salad
If you don't have blooming herbs for this salad--like the fennel flowers and blue borage blossoms we harvested from the Sunset test garden--buy edible flowers like Johnny-jump-ups or nasturtiums at well-stocked grocery stores. Or just skip them; the salad will still look and taste lovely.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 84
- Calories from fat: 76%
- Protein: 4.2g
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 1.1g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 132mg
- Cholesterol: 127mg
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 heads butter lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (about 6 qts.)
- 1/2 cup fresh dill fronds
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- Herb or edible flowers (optional)
- 1. Put eggs in a medium saucepan, cover with 1 in. water, and bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and let sit 9 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard, and oil together.
- 2. Transfer eggs to a bowl of cold water and let cool a minute. Crack gently all over, then return to water for 5 minutes. Peel and cut or break into quarters.
- 3. Put lettuce in a large bowl and toss gently but thoroughly with dill, chives, and most of dressing. Add eggs and gently toss again. Top with flowers if you like.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This