This recipe goes with Tennessee Jam Cake
Yield: frosting for one (9-inch) 3-layer cake
- 3 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Additional milk
- Combine 1 1/4 cups sugar and butter in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and butter melts, and mixture becomes golden brown in color. Set aside.
- Combine remaining 2 1/2 cups sugar and 1 1/4 cups milk in a Dutch oven, stirring well. Bring to a boil; stir in reserved sugar mixture. Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 230° (thread stage).
- Remove from heat; cool slightly. Beat mixture at medium speed of electric mixer until spreading consistency. Stir in additional milk, if necessary, to maintain spreading consistency.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This