Grateful for the cooking spray & parchment paper suggestion as the bars came out with no trouble. I cut them into 4x3 (12 servings) and that was plenty big, might even be better cut into 4x4s. Followed the recipe exactly except added 1/4 tsp. lemon extract and 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract. We loved them--so buttery and rich-tasting, like little cheesecakes!
Butter Crunch Lemon-Cheese Bars
Randy Mayor; Mary Catherine Muir
A buttery, crunchy pastry crust forms the base for a tangy lemon filling. You can substitute fresh orange juice and grated orange rind for lemon, if you wish. These are best served chilled.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 bar)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 281
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Carbohydrate: 44.5g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 298mg
- Calcium: 40mg
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare crust, place first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Add 1 cup flour to butter mixture, and beat at low speed until well-blended. Press crust into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- To prepare filling, place cottage cheese in a food processor; process 2 minutes or until smooth, scraping sides of bowl once. Add 1 cup granulated sugar and remaining ingredients, and process until well-blended. Pour filling over crust. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until set (the edges will get lightly browned), and cool. Cover and chill for 8 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note