I've made these cookies twice now and both times they turned out wonderful and delicious my husband and family loved them especially since they have fewer calories. I had no problems browning the butter. I used all white whole wheat flour instead of white and whole wheat together. I also used 60% cacao chocolate chips to make them even more healthy. I will definitely keep this recipe.
Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Butter moves from nutty and brown to bitter and burned quickly, so be sure to take the pan off the heat once it turns amber-brown. To keep cookies from spreading, make sure the cookie sheet is completely cool before starting the next batch.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 42 Minutes
- Calories: 96
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 14.8g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 42mg
- Calcium: 14mg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 5.6 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 3.3 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (such as Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat; add oil. Set aside to cool.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Place butter mixture and sugars in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Add vanilla and eggs; beat until well blended. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- 4. Drop by level tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake 12 minutes or until bottoms of cookies just begin to brown. Cool slightly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note