I tailored this recipe to my life style and cut some of the fat and a lot of the sugar. Normally I would cut out more sugar but I was making cookies with my husband, so we compromised. :) Ingredients: 3 Tb Earth Balance Butter, 3 Tb coconut oil, 1 medium ripe banana, 1/4 & 1/8 cup packed brown sugar, 1/3 cup white sugar. Beat until creamy and smooth. Add 2 tsp molasses, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and beat. In a small bowl whisk dry ingredients: 1/4 and 1/8 tsp Pure Stevia Extract (powder), 1 1/4 cup & 3/4 cup all purpose flower (next time I will try whole wheat), 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt. Add dry ingredients to wet. Mix well. Incorporate 1 cup dark chocolate chips. Bake at 325F for 9-10 Min. Cookies come out soft, sort-of cake-like. They don't brown or become chewy. They have nice flavor and the banana is noticeable. My husband was a fan. I plan to continue tweaking the recipe.
Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Butter moves from nutty and brown to bitter and burned quickly, so be sure to take the pan off the heat once it turns amber-brown. To keep cookies from spreading, make sure the cookie sheet is completely cool before starting the next batch.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 42 Minutes
- Calories: 96
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 14.8g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 42mg
- Calcium: 14mg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 5.6 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 3.3 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (such as Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat; add oil. Set aside to cool.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Place butter mixture and sugars in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Add vanilla and eggs; beat until well blended. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- 4. Drop by level tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake 12 minutes or until bottoms of cookies just begin to brown. Cool slightly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note