This is delicious. So easy to make. We used Greek yogurt and good-quality garam masala. Next time I'll shorten the cooking time a bit; I think 5 hours might have been a little too long for our slow cooker. Will definitely make it again. I would give it 5 stars but it is not the most beautiful dish so I took a star off for that...We served it with steamed brown rice/peas.
Count on your slow cooker to deliver this favorite Indian dish--savory Butter Chicken.
More From Allyou
Total: 5 Hours, 35 Minutes
- Calories: 284
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Protein: 30g
- Carbohydrate: 10g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 93mg
- Sodium: 555mg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup plain yogurt (not nonfat)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Scrape into slow cooker. Place chicken pieces on top.
- 2. Combine ginger, garlic, almonds, yogurt, garam masala and salt in a food processor and process until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl with a flexible spatula as necessary. Add tomatoes and pulse once to combine. Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on low until chicken is tender, 4 to 5 hours. Stir in heavy cream, cover and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro just before serving, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note