This recipe reminded me of Sunday afternoon dinner at my grandmother's house many years ago. It was simple and tasty if you like butter beans. Next time I make it I'll cut down on the amount of water to 3 cups. Unless you're serving them over rice, it's a lot of wasted liquid.
This is a delicious and hearty side that's great when paired with any meal.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 35 Minutes
- 2 (16-oz.) packages frozen speckled butter beans
- 2 tablespoons jarred ham soup base
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Combine beans, ham base, and 4 cups water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, 30 to 35 minutes or until beans are tender. Stir in butter, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: We tested with Superior Touch Better Than Bouillon Ham Base.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note