- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons ghee or unsalted butter, melted
- Chat masala, for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
How to Make It
In a small skillet, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a mini food processor. Add the cottage cheese, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, coriander, garam masala, salt and cayenne and process until smooth.
In a large bowl, toss the chicken with the cottage cheese mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
Preheat the broiler. Thread the chicken pieces onto 6 long metal skewers. Place the skewers on a large baking sheet and brush generously with the ghee. Broil 3 inches from the heat, turning and basting twice with ghee, until richly browned and cooked through, about 7 minutes.
Transfer the skewers to a platter. Sprinkle generously with chat masala , garnish with the cilantro and serve right away.