- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (4-pound) sirloin tip roast, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups sliced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup Burgundy or other dry red wine
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 7 carrots, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 5 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound red potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- calories 239
- fat 9.5 g
- satfat 3.3 g
- protein 25.1 g
- carbohydrate 12.6 g
- cholesterol 66 mg
- iron 2.3 mg
- sodium 430 mg
- caloriesfromfat 36 %
- fiber 2.1 g
- calcium 55 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 325°.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle roast evenly with salt and pepper. Add roast to pan; cook 8 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove roast from pan.
Add onion and garlic to pan, and sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Return roast to pan. Add broth, wine, and thyme to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour.
Add carrot and next 3 ingredients to pan. Cover and bake an additional 3 1/2 hours or until vegetables and roast are tender. Remove roast and vegetables to a serving dish, reserving juices in pan; discard thyme sprigs.
Combine flour and 1/2 cup pan juices in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Return mixture to pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook 15 minutes or until thick. Slice or shred roast; serve with vegetables and gravy.