- 1 (5-pound) stewing hen
- 2 pounds pork shank
- 2 pounds veal shank
- 2 pounds beef shank
- 2 pounds breast of lamb
- 2 gallons water
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, scraped and thinly sliced
- 2 green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (17-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup lima beans
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 hot red pepper pods
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
How to Make It
Combine chicken, pork, veal, beef, lamb, and water in a large stock pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours or until meat is tender.
Remove meat from broth; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones, discarding bones. Coarsely chop meat, and set aside.
Skim off and discard fat from surface of broth. Combine broth, meat, and remaining ingredients in stock pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4 1/2 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Discard pepper pods.
Ladle stew into individual serving bowls; serve hot.