These burgers came out amazing! I've made the recipe as stated twice. I used grass fed sirloin, buttermilk blue cheese, and 365 brand wheat buns....served with pesto fingerling potatoes (Cooking light 2013) and steamed asparagus. This burger is a very sophisticated complex burger with layers of flavor from the tobacco to sherry vinegar onions and tangy blue cheese....yet so simple to prepare. For this reason, they will be our go to entertaining burgers- simple yet immensely flavorful and delicious! A crowd pleaser!
Burgers with Blue Cheese Mayo and Sherry Vidalia Onions
Photo: Anna Williams; Styling: Pam Morris
More From Cooking Light
Total: 45 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 420
- Fat: 21.8g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 10.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 5.2g
- Protein: 31.5g
- Carbohydrate: 26.7g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 623mg
- Calcium: 149mg
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 pound lean ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices Vidalia or other sweet onion
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) 100% whole-wheat hamburger buns with sesame seeds, toasted
- 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 2 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Combine 1/2 cup blue cheese, mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon thyme, and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl; stir well.
- 3. Divide beef into 4 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Sprinkle beef evenly with 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and salt.
- 4. Brush oil evenly over both sides of onion slices; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place the patties and onions on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cover and grill for 3 minutes on each side. Set patties aside; keep warm. Place onion slices in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 5 minutes; toss with remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and vinegar.
- 5. Spread cut sides of buns evenly with mayonnaise mixture. Arrange 1/2 cup arugula on bottom half of each bun; top with 1 patty, 1 onion slice, and bun top.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note