Bulgur, Spinach, and Toasted Walnut Pancakes
Photo: Jan Smith
Serve with a tomato salad tossed with olive oil, fresh lemon juice, parsley, and mint.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 pancakes and about 1/4 cup wilted spinach)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 338
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.5g
- Protein: 14.6g
- Carbohydrate: 45.2g
- Fiber: 9.7g
- Cholesterol: 106mg
- Iron: 5.7mg
- Sodium: 560mg
- Calcium: 179mg
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh, tightly packed spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (about 1 1/5 ounces)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups loosely packed spinach leaves
- Orange rind strips (optional)
- Combine water and bulgur in a bowl; cover and let stand 20 minutes. Drain well, and press excess liquid out of bulgur.
- Heat walnuts in a large skillet over medium heat until walnuts are hot. Add soy sauce; cook 20 seconds or until liquid evaporates, stirring constantly. Remove from pan. Wipe pan with a paper towel.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until golden. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add 2 cups chopped spinach; cook 30 seconds. Add bulgur, walnuts, and salt; stir well.
- Combine juice and egg yolks in a large bowl. Add bulgur mixture. Spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add flour to bulgur mixture; stir well. Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Fold whites into bulgur mixture.
- Heat oil in a nonstick griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pour 1/2 cup batter per pancake onto hot pan, spreading each to a 5-inch diameter. Cook 5 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Carefully turn pancakes over; cook for 4 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Transfer to plate; keep warm.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 cups spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring constantly. Serve with pancakes. Garnish with rind strips, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note