Bulgur, Spinach, and Toasted Walnut Pancakes
Photo: Jan Smith
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 338
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.5g
- Protein: 14.6g
- Carbohydrate: 45.2g
- Fiber: 9.7g
- Cholesterol: 106mg
- Iron: 5.7mg
- Sodium: 560mg
- Calcium: 179mg
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh, tightly packed spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (about 1 1/5 ounces)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups loosely packed spinach leaves
- Orange rind strips (optional)
- Combine water and bulgur in a bowl; cover and let stand 20 minutes. Drain well, and press excess liquid out of bulgur.
- Heat walnuts in a large skillet over medium heat until walnuts are hot. Add soy sauce; cook 20 seconds or until liquid evaporates, stirring constantly. Remove from pan. Wipe pan with a paper towel.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until golden. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add 2 cups chopped spinach; cook 30 seconds. Add bulgur, walnuts, and salt; stir well.
- Combine juice and egg yolks in a large bowl. Add bulgur mixture. Spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add flour to bulgur mixture; stir well. Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Fold whites into bulgur mixture.
- Heat oil in a nonstick griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pour 1/2 cup batter per pancake onto hot pan, spreading each to a 5-inch diameter. Cook 5 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Carefully turn pancakes over; cook for 4 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Transfer to plate; keep warm.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 cups spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring constantly. Serve with pancakes. Garnish with rind strips, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes