Bulgogi Jungol (Korean Bulgogi Soup)
This is my version of the lunch I enjoyed with my relatives. It is a specialty of the Hapcheon area--a soup take on the popular Korean dish bulgogi (grilled marinated beef). In Hapcheon, the soup was cooked on the table, and we monitored the cooking. At home, you'll need to watch closely so the broth doesn't boil; you want it at a bare simmer, or else the meat will get tough and the broth cloudy.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 35 Minutes
- Calories: 332
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 24.1g
- Carbohydrate: 32.6g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 597mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- 1 pound trimmed boneless rib-eye steak (1.25 pounds untrimmed)
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soju, sake, or sherry
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces sweet potato noodles or cellophane noodles
- 7 ounces enoki mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots
- 6 cups no-salt-added beef stock (such as Swanson)
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 8 ounces water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1 red jalapeño pepper, sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. Place beef in freezer for 20 minutes. Remove from freezer; cut across the grain into very thin slices. Place beef in a medium bowl. Add soy sauce and next 5 ingredients (through garlic); toss well to combine. Marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- 2. Soak noodles in cold water for 30 minutes; drain (noodles will not be tender). Cut noodles with kitchen scissors 2 or 3 times.
- 3. Trim roots from enoki mushrooms; separate mushrooms into several large clumps. Cut carrots crosswise into thirds; cut each piece lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- 4. Heat a Dutch oven over high heat. Add beef mixture to pan; stir-fry 2 minutes. Arrange noodles over beef mixture; add stock. Reduce heat to medium-high. Top noodles with enoki, carrots, shiitake, tofu, jalapeño, and onions. Bring mixture just to a simmer; simmer gently for 5 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note