Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 16 minutes. Stick with baked taco shells instead of fried. You'll avoid trans fat and cut way back on saturated fat and sodium.
Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 2 tacos)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 427
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 28g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 9g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 844mg
- Calcium: 221mg
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 12 ounces ground sirloin
- 1 cup salsa, divided
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 8 baked taco shells
- 1/4 cup preshredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican-blend cheese
- 2 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add ground sirloin and cook, stirring often with a spatula, until meat browns, about 10 minutes; drain excess fat. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa, chili powder, cumin, and pepper. Continue cooking until heated through.
- 2. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350°. Put taco shells on a baking sheet and heat as per package directions.
- 3. Combine beans and remaining 1/2 cup salsa in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Keep warm.
- 4. To serve, arrange taco shells on platter. Place meat on a separate serving dish, and put the beans, cheese, lettuce, and sour cream in bowls. Let diners assemble their own tacos.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes