Buckwheat Crêpes with Corn, Tomatoes and Goat Cheese
Photo: John Kernick
More From Food & Wine
Amount per serving
- Calories: 150
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 6g
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 (large) eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 (large) leek, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1/2 cups (cut from 2 large ears of corn) corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons chives, snipped
- Preheat the oven to 325°. In a blender, blend the milk, eggs and 1 tablespoon of the melted butter. Add both flours, the sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt; blend until smooth. Let the batter stand while you prepare the filling.
- On a baking sheet, toss the tomatoes with the garlic, paprika and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 25 minutes, until the tomatoes are slightly dried.
- In a skillet, cook the leek over moderate heat in the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil, 4 minutes. Add the corn and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and parsley and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Line a plate with wax paper. Heat a 10-inch nonstick skillet and lightly brush it with some of the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. If the crêpe batter is too thick, whisk in enough water so it is pourable. For each crêpe, add 1/4 cup of the batter to the skillet and swirl to coat the pan. Cook over moderate heat until the surface is dry and the underside is golden, about 2 minutes. Flip the crêpe and cook for 1 minute longer. Transfer the crêpe to the prepared plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, brushing the pan with butter as needed. You should have 12 to 14 crêpes.
- Spoon the filling down the center of each of 12 crêpes. Sprinkle the goat cheese on top and roll each crêpe into a cylinder. Transfer to plates, garnish with the chives and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note