Howard L. Puckett
Yield: Makes 11 cups
- 3 (4-ounce) packages gourmet-blend mushrooms
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 3 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 bay leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- Hot cooked rice
- Place mushrooms in a large roasting pan. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes; set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine 2/3 cup oil and flour in a large skillet; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until roux is dark golden brown (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and next 3 ingredients in hot oil 20 minutes or until tender. Add roux, and stir well.
- Stir in roasted mushrooms, bay leaves, and next 7 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour. Stir in green onions, and serve over hot cooked rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note