Tasty. Followed recipe exactly.
Bucatini with Eggplant and Roasted Peppers
Eggplant and capers, which are among Sicily's staple ingredients, add a delectable flavor to this summery pasta sauce. If you can't find bucatini (long, hollow pasta), you can use linguine or spaghetti. Prepare the sauce up to 2 days in advance, and then reheat gently over medium-low heat while you cook the pasta.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 336
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 9.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 12.9g
- Carbohydrate: 50.3g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 461mg
- Calcium: 182mg
- 2 large yellow bell peppers
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 12 ounces bucatini or linguine
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated ricotta salata or Romano cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, and discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 10 minutes or until peppers are blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag, and seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel and cut into strips. Reduce oven temperature to 425°.
- Arrange the eggplant cubes in a single layer in a 2-quart baking dish. Pour 1 cup water over the eggplant. Bake at 425° for 35 minutes or until eggplant is tender, adding more water as needed.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oregano, capers, and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in eggplant, bell peppers, salt, black pepper, and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Combine pasta, eggplant mixture, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large bowl, tossing to coat. Add the reserved cooking liquid, if necessary, to coat the pasta. Sprinkle with cheese.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This