Bucatini in a Spicy Tomato Sauce with Pancetta
Community Recipe from
- 1/2 lb. 1/4-inch-thick slices pancetta (about 6), cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 28-oz. can peeled whole tomatoes, puréed in a blender
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 3/4 lb. dried bucatini (or thick spaghetti)
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the pancetta in the oil, stirring often, until it’s crisp and browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the pancetta to a plate lined with paper towels. Raise the heat to medium high, add the onion and chile flakes, season with salt, and cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft and translucent, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Put the pasta in the water. Add the puréed tomatoes to the skillet and cook to thicken the sauce slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in the oregano and season generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- Finish cooking the pasta until it’s just tender, about 10 minutes total. Drain and add to the sauce. Toss well with the pancetta and 1/2 cup of the Pecorino. Serve immediately, topped with a spoonful of the sauce from the bottom of the pan and a sprinkling of the remaining Pecorino.
- nutrition information (per serving):
- Calories (kcal): 620; Fat (g): 20; Fat Calories (kcal): 180; Saturated Fat (g): 6; Protein (g): 31; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 11; Carbohydrates (g): 79; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 2; Sodium (mg): 1860; Cholesterol (mg): 40; Fiber (g): 5;
- photo: Scott Phillips
- From Fine Cooking 60, pp. 98c
- October 1, 2003
This recipe is a personal recipe added by batesballard22 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Bucatini in a Spicy Tomato Sauce with Pancetta Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes