Bubbling Asian Fondue
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 235
- Calories from fat: 7.7%
- Protein: 32g
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Sodium: 212mg
- Cholesterol: 72mg
- 4 to 6 cups bite-size vegetable pieces (choose 2 or 3--asparagus, broccoli, green beans)
- 1/2 pound boned, skinned firm-flesh fish such as halibut
- 1/2 pound sea scallops
- 1/2 pound shrimp (31 to 40 per lb.), shelled and deveined
- Asian broth
- Sauces (choose 3 or 4)
- -Chutney yogurt
- -Cilantro mustard
- -Wasabi cream
- 2 to 3 cups cooked rice
- 1. In 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring 2 to 3 quarts water to a boil. Add vegetables. Cook until they turn bright green, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain; immerse in ice water until cool; drain again.
- 2. Rinse fish, scallops, and shrimp; pat dry. Cut fish into 1/4-inch-thick slices, about 2 inches long. Cut scallops crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cut shrimp in half lengthwise. Arrange fish, scallops, and shrimp on a flat dish.
- 3. In a 3-quart metal chafing dish or pan over high heat, bring all Asian broth to a boil. If using a 2-quart fondue pan, fill halfway with boiling broth (keep remaining broth hot; cover, and set over lowest heat on a range).
- 4. Set container on an alcohol or canned solid-fuel flame or an electric burner set on high heat. Arrange vegetables, seafood, sauces, and rice near pan.
- 5. Spear foods, 1 piece at a time, with fondue forks or thin skewers (metal or wood) and immerse in broth. Cook vegetables until they are hot, and seafood until barely opaque in thickest part, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Dip hot foods into sauces and eat. As liquid evaporates in pan, add more boiling broth, using all.
- 6. After vegetables and seafood are consumed, ladle remaining broth into bowls and add rice to each portion. Eat with spoons.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note