B'Steeya with Chicken
- 4 pounds chicken pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
- Bring first 13 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven; reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, and set aside.
- Stir eggs into simmering broth; cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour into a colander; drain 30 minutes. Place solids in a bowl.
- Skin and bone chicken; cut into bite-size pieces, and stir into egg mixture.
- Unfold phyllo, and cover with a damp towel to prevent drying.
- Brush a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with melted butter. Stack 4 phyllo sheets in skillet in a crisscross pattern, brushing each with butter and allowing edges to overhang. Crumple 2 phyllo sheets, and place in center of skillet.
- Stir together powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, and 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar; sprinkle one-third mixture over phyllo, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup almonds. Stack 2 phyllo sheets over almonds, brushing each with butter. Spoon half of chicken mixture over phyllo. Crumple 1 phyllo sheet, and place in skillet. Stack 2 phyllo sheets over crumpled phyllo, brushing each with butter. Sprinkle with half of remaining powdered sugar mixture, and remaining 1/2 cup almonds. Stack 2 phyllo sheets over almonds, brushing each with butter. Crumple 1 phyllo sheet, and place in skillet. Spoon remaining half of chicken mixture over phyllo. Stack 2 phyllo sheets over chicken mixture, brushing each with butter. Fold draping edges over stack. Drizzle with remaining melted butter.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden. Invert onto a serving platter, and sprinkle with remaining powdered sugar mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes