Brussels Sprouts and Wheat Berry Slaw with Smoked Paprika Dressing
Photo: Alex Farnum; Styling: Randy Mon
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 173
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Protein: 5g
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Sodium: 201mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 cup wheat berries
- About 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- About 3 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked Spanish paprika
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 3/4 pound brussels sprouts
- 1. Bring 1 1/2 qts. water, the wheat berries, and 1/2 tsp. salt to a boil in a medium covered saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until wheat berries are tender but not mushy (some should start to burst), about 1 1/4 hours. Drain.
- 2. Whisk 1/2 tsp. salt, the pepper, oil, 3 tbsp. vinegar, the paprika, and currants together in a large bowl. Let stand while wheat berries cook.
- 3. Cut brussels sprouts into fine shreds, preferably using a food processor with a slicing disk or a mandoline. Add brussels sprouts and wheat berries to dressing mixture and toss to coat. Taste and add more salt and another splash of vinegar if you'd like. Serve immediately.
- Make ahead: Through step 2 up to 1 day, chilled. Bring to room temperature.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Instead of using currants, you could try shredding a small sweet apple into the salad.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads