I feel like I always fail with stir fry but this stir fry was really unique. Lot's of great flavors and spicy! I served over pasta for a lo mein effect. The Brussels sprouts soaked up the broth mixture and you got a zap of lime in each bite! I used sirloin filet instead of flank steak to make sure it was tender.
Beef-and-Brussels Sprouts Stir-fry
Photo: Greg Dupree; Styling: Missie Neville Crawford
A ripping-hot skillet works as well as a wok to sear food fast. Just be sure to use one that can take the heat, preferably cast-iron or a large, heavy-bottomed stainless. Feel free to substitute any cruciferous vegetable cut into even pieces in place of Brussels sprouts, from broccoli and cauliflower to cabbage and bok choy.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 1/2 pound flank steak
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1/2 cup beef broth or water
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 12 ounces fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 red jalapeño or red serrano pepper, sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin strips. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 2. Stir-fry steak, in 2 batches, in 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a large cast-iron or stainless-steel skillet over high heat 2 to 3 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Transfer to a plate, and wipe skillet clean.
- 3. Whisk together beef broth and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
- 4. Stir-fry Brussels sprouts in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot oil over high heat 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Add jalapeño pepper, ginger, and garlic, and stir-fry 1 minute. Pour soy sauce mixture over Brussels sprouts, and bring mixture to a boil. Cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes or until sprouts are tender. Stir in mint and steak. Serve over rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes