Brussels Sprouts Salad
Notes: Up to one day ahead, prepare brussels sprout leaves (step 1); wrap in a towel, seal in a plastic bag, and chill. To make croutons, bake 1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch cubes firm white bread in a 10- by 12-inch pan in a 350° oven, stirring often, until lightly toasted, 8 to 10 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 432
- Calories from fat: 69%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 33g
- Saturated fat: 7.5g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 9.9g
- Sodium: 704mg
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- 1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon
- 5 to 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves or dried thyme
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- 1 red onion (about 6 oz.)
- 1 1/2 cups unseasoned croutons (see notes)
- 1 hard-cooked large egg, shelled and coarsely chopped
- 1. Rinse sprouts, drain, and discard discolored leaves. Using a small, sharp knife, trim stem end of each sprout to release a layer of leaves, then pull the leaves from the sprout (save). Continue to trim and discard stem, pulling off (and saving) leaves until only about 1/2 inch remains of center of sprout; cut this portion in half lengthwise. Repeat to separate leaves on remaining sprouts.
- 2. Cut bacon into 1/4-inch dice. In a 14-inch wok, 14-inch frying pan, or wide 6- to 8-quart pan, stir bacon often over medium-high heat until browned, about 10 minutes; transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Pour bacon drippings from pan and reserve, if desired for dressing.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix 5 tablespoons olive oil, 5 tablespoons vinegar, shallots, garlic, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Peel onion and cut lengthwise into thin slivers.
- 4. Return 1 tablespoon bacon drippings to pan or add 1 tablespoon olive oil; add sliced onion and 1 tablespoon vinegar. Stir often over medium-high heat until onion is limp and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Pour into bowl with vinegar and olive oil mixture.
- 5. Add another tablespoon bacon drippings (discard any remaining) or olive oil to pan over high heat; when hot, add brussels sprout leaves and stir until limp, 3 to 4 minutes. Add croutons, bacon, and oil-and-vinegar mixture to pan; stir until hot and well mixed. Pour into a wide bowl and sprinkle with chopped egg. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This