This was delicious! My husband loved his birthday meal with this and the Southern Living baked ziti with Italian sausage. Your recipes are always flawless and I make a wonderful green bean casserole I got from you years ago.
Brussels Sprouts with Ham and Caramelized Onions
Photo: Jody Horton; Styling: Heather Chadduck Hillegas
More From Southern Living
Total: 40 Minutes
- 4 ounces country ham, thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 pounds yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1. Sauté ham in 3 Tbsp. hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.
- 2. Add Brussels sprouts to skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, 7 to 8 minutes or until light brown and crisp-tender; toss with 1 tsp. salt. Transfer Brussels sprouts to a bowl. Wipe skillet clean.
- 3. Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat; add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until light brown and tender. Stir in honey, next 2 ingredients, and remaining 1 tsp. salt. Add Brussels sprouts, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with ham.
- Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts: Preheat oven to 425°. Increase olive oil to 7 Tbsp. Heat a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan in oven 10 minutes. Prepare recipe through Step 3, omitting Step 2. Toss sprouts with 2 Tbsp. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, and 1 tsp. kosher salt. Place sprouts, cut sides down, in hot jelly-roll pan, and bake 20 to 25 minutes. Toss with ham and caramelized onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note