I love this-it's so flavorful I wanted to keep eating more! I served it as a side dish and leftovers make for a great lunch! My husband suggests trying cauliflower.
Brussels Sprouts-and-Rice Casserole
Baking vegetables into a casserole usually makes them more appealing to kids (and adults!), and this Brussels sprouts recipe is no exception: "Wow! Fantastic!" raves reviewer Bostonsmaman. "We're not normally Brussels sprouts fans, but this dish was GONE!" Like the other casseroles, this dish can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen, then baked the day of your gathering.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 133
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Carbohydrate: 18.5g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 280mg
- Calcium: 129mg
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon stick margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup cooked long-grain rice
- 1 ounce thinly sliced prosciutto or ham, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine the Brussels sprouts and water in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Uncover sprouts, and cook 1 minute. Drain.
- Melt margarine in a small saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add milk to saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 3 minutes over medium heat or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Coat a 9-inch quiche or round baking dish with cooking spray. Pat rice into bottom of dish; arrange Brussels sprouts, stem sides down, on top of rice. Sprinkle Brussels sprouts with prosciutto; pour sauce over prosciutto. Combine breadcrumbs and cheese; sprinkle over sauce. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Brussels Sprouts-and-Rice Casserole Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Casseroles