These are very good. We did some "test kitchen" with our batch to find the preferred way to prepare and serve. I roasted the brussel sprouts for 15 mins, and they were perfectly cooked through - browned on outside with some subtle crunch inside. We tried both room temp and "crisped" prosciutto and liked them better after 5 mins in a 350 degree oven to crisp prosciutto and serve warm. Serving with balsamic vinegar reduction drizzled on top / for dipping added an important additional dimension - wouldn't serve without. Had chili oil (olive oil to which crushed red pepper is added while warm then cooled) on hand as well - also very good drizzled over.
Brussels Sprout and Prosciutto Skewers
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 47
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Protein: 3.7g
- Fat: 2.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 3.8g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sodium: 410mg
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 24 small brussels sprouts (3/4 to 1 lb.)
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 24 decorative toothpicks
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, whisk oil, syrup, salt, and pepper to blend. Trim brussels sprouts at base and remove any leathery outer leaves. Toss sprouts in oil mixture to coat well. Line a rimmed baking pan with foil and put sprouts in pan in a single layer.
- 2. Roast, tossing every 5 minutes, until sprouts are browned but tender-crisp, 10 to 12 minutes total. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut each prosciutto slice into strips about 1 in. wide. Gently wrap each sprout lengthwise in a prosciutto strip. Insert a toothpick into the base of each sprout. Serve at room temperature.
- Make ahead: Prepare through step 2 up to 1 day ahead; chill, covered. Bring to room temperature, then proceed.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 2-skewer serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Brussels Sprout and Prosciutto Skewers Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Appetizers