- 8 ounces thick-cut bacon (about 7 slices), chopped
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 24-inch baguette, cut on a bias into 40 thin slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 ounces pecorino cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler into 40 slices
- calories 228
- fat 10 g
- satfat 3 g
- protein 9 g
- carbohydrate 26 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 10 mg
- sodium 582 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until crisp, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Remove and discard all but 3 Tbsp. bacon fat from skillet.
Raise heat to medium-high. Add sprouts to bacon fat in skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Add red pepper, lemon zest and reserved bacon to skillet. Stir, taste and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
Brush both sides of baguette slices with olive oil; place on a baking sheet. Bake until golden, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
Spoon a rounded Tbsp. of sprout mixture on each slice of baguette. Top each with a slice of cheese and serve.