Howard L. Puckett
Yield: Makes 12 servings
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 (3/4-inch-thick) slices Cuban or soft French bread
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl; chill.
- Flatten each bread slice with a spatula or rolling pin. Combine garlic and butter in a small bowl, and spread evenly over each side of bread slices.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add flattened bread, in batches. Top with a smaller skillet or press down with a spatula to flatten bread a little more; cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat procedure with remaining flattened bread slices. Spoon tomato mixture evenly over each bread slice. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers