- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 (3/4-inch-thick) slices Cuban or soft French bread
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
How to Make It
Combine first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl; chill.
Flatten each bread slice with a spatula or rolling pin. Combine garlic and butter in a small bowl, and spread evenly over each side of bread slices.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add flattened bread, in batches. Top with a smaller skillet or press down with a spatula to flatten bread a little more; cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat procedure with remaining flattened bread slices. Spoon tomato mixture evenly over each bread slice. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve immediately.