- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 small onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 3 cups water
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 3 ears fresh corn kernels, cut from cob
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen cut okra
How to Make It
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Sauté onion in drippings in a large Dutch oven. Add chicken, and brown on all sides. Add water, tomatoes, sherry, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Remove chicken from liquid, and cool. Bone chicken, and cut meat into 2-inch pieces. Return chicken to liquid. Add vegetables. Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally.