- 2 quarts water
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) whole chicken, cut up
- 1 (15-ounce) can baby lima beans, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can baby lima beans, undrained
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
How to Make It
Bring 2 quarts water and chicken to a boil in a Dutch oven; reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until tender. Remove chicken, and set aside. Reserve 3 cups broth in Dutch oven. (Reserve remaining broth for other uses.)
Pour canned lima beans and liquid through a wire-mesh strainer into Dutch oven, reserving beans; add tomato to Dutch oven.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook, stirring often, 40 minutes or until liquid is reduced by one-third.
Skin, bone, and shred chicken. Mash reserved beans with a potato masher.
Add chicken, mashed and frozen beans, potato, and onion to Dutch oven. Cook over low heat, stirring often, 3 hours and 30 minutes.
Stir in corn and remaining ingredients; cook over low heat, stirring often, 1 hour.