Brunch BLTs with Chilies and Cheese
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 517
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 26g
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 39g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 1232mg
- Cholesterol: 319mg
- 8 slices bacon (about 1/2 lb.)
- 8 slices sourdough bread, each 4 by 6 inches and 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced jack cheese with chilies
- 1 can (7 oz.) whole green chilies, drained and torn into strips
- 2 firm-ripe tomatoes (4 to 5 oz. each), rinsed, cored, and sliced
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 4 large leaves red-leaf lettuce, rinsed and crisped (optional)
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat, cook bacon until brown and crisp, about 15 minutes, turning slices as needed. Drain bacon on towels and discard fat.
- 2. On each of 4 bread slices, lay 2 bacon slices. Arrange cheese, chilies, and tomatoes equally on bacon; sprinkle lightly with salt. Cover each stack with another slice of bread.
- 3. In a wide, shallow dish, beat eggs with milk to blend. On a 12-inch nonstick griddle or in a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, melt half the butter. Meanwhile, one at a time, lay sandwiches in egg mixture; let stand about 15 seconds on each side. Lift out; put on griddle, 2 sandwiches at a time.
- 4. Brown sandwiches on each side, turning as needed, about 10 minutes. When they are cooked, transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in a 200° oven. Add remaining butter to pan and cook remaining 2 sandwiches. Set hot sandwiches on plates and tuck a lettuce leaf alongside each.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch