Browny's Clam Chowder
Community Recipe from
- 6 slice(s) bacon chopped
- 2 carrots-medium sized thinly sliced
- 2 stalk(s) celery thinly sliced
- 1 onion-small chopped
- 1/2 small green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 clove(s) garlic minced or presses
- 11/2 pound(s) red thin-skinned potatoes scrubbed and diced
- 2 bottle(s) clam juice (8 oz. each)
- 8 can(s) chopped clams (61/2 oz each)
- 1 dry bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) liquid hot pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 11/2 teaspoon(s) worchestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) dry thyme
- 4 cup(s) half-and-half
- Cook bacon in an 8 to 10-quart pan over medium heat until crisp, stirring often. Lift out with a slotted spoon, drain, and set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoons of the drippings from pan. Add carrots, celery, and onion, bell pepper, and garlic to pan; cook, stirring often, until vegetables are lightly browned (about 10 minutes).
- Add potatoes and clam juice to pan. Bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced (about 15 minutes). Stir in clams and their liquid, bay leaf, hot pepper seasoning, pepper, Worcestershire, thyme, half-and-half, and bacon. Season to taste with salt. Heat until steaming, then ladle into bowls. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by robinh53 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Browny's Clam Chowder Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews