Not only does this dessert taste great, it is so simple to make. Great for a special occasion when you want to spend time with your guests instead of being in the kitchen. Its great for tweaking too! I substituted Bacardi Rum for the brandy, and partially added an Orange liquer (ie Cointreau) for part of the o.j. The kick of the alcohol is a great (but not overwhelming) addition to the creaminess of the butter. A low fat vanilla ice cream is the perfect compliment to this dish! I would definately use bananas that still have a bit of green. The firmness helps with turning and removing the bananas.
Browned Butter Bananas with Orange-Brandy Sauce
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
Browned butter gives the dessert a rich, caramelized, almost nutty flavor. Choose firm bananas with no spots; they'll hold up better when cooked.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 4 banana pieces, 1 tablespoon sauce, and 1/2 cup ice cream)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 293
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Carbohydrate: 62.1g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 164mg
- Calcium: 112mg
- 4 medium bananas
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- 1. Peel bananas, and cut bananas in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 2 pieces.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter to pan, swirling to coat. Cook butter 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add bananas; sauté 1 minute or until browned and tender, turning once. Add 1 tablespoon sugar, stirring gently until sugar dissolves. Place bananas in a medium bowl.
- 3. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, juice concentrate, brandy, 1 tablespoon water, and salt in pan. Bring to a simmer; cook 1 minute. Drizzle sauce over bananas. Serve immediately over ice cream. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This