Not only does this dessert taste great, it is so simple to make. Great for a special occasion when you want to spend time with your guests instead of being in the kitchen. Its great for tweaking too! I substituted Bacardi Rum for the brandy, and partially added an Orange liquer (ie Cointreau) for part of the o.j. The kick of the alcohol is a great (but not overwhelming) addition to the creaminess of the butter. A low fat vanilla ice cream is the perfect compliment to this dish! I would definately use bananas that still have a bit of green. The firmness helps with turning and removing the bananas.
Browned Butter Bananas with Orange-Brandy Sauce
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
Browned butter gives the dessert a rich, caramelized, almost nutty flavor. Choose firm bananas with no spots; they'll hold up better when cooked.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 4 banana pieces, 1 tablespoon sauce, and 1/2 cup ice cream)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 293
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Carbohydrate: 62.1g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 164mg
- Calcium: 112mg
- 4 medium bananas
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- 1. Peel bananas, and cut bananas in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 2 pieces.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter to pan, swirling to coat. Cook butter 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add bananas; sauté 1 minute or until browned and tender, turning once. Add 1 tablespoon sugar, stirring gently until sugar dissolves. Place bananas in a medium bowl.
- 3. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, juice concentrate, brandy, 1 tablespoon water, and salt in pan. Bring to a simmer; cook 1 minute. Drizzle sauce over bananas. Serve immediately over ice cream. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note