This recipe makes what may now be my very favorite cookies... YUMMY! I did find the recipe a bit difficult to follow from the point where you are supposed to roll out the dough. I ended up skipping the rolling portion and, instead, cut it into 3/4" x 2 1/2" pieces. Cooking time was 25 minutes.
Brown Sugar Shortbread
Prep and Cook Time: about 1 1/2 hours. Notes: These simple cookies are the perfect companions to a bowl of vanilla ice cream. You can store cookies airtight for up to 1 week.
Yield: Makes 72 cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 41
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 0.4g
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 4.1g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 27mg
- Cholesterol: 6.9mg
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a food processor, whirl butter, brown sugar, and flour together until smooth. Or, in a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until smooth; stir in flour until mixture is no longer crumbly and starts to come together in a ball. Pat dough into a 1-inch-thick rectangle, wrap airtight, and freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Unwrap dough and roll between sheets of waxed paper into a 6- by 18-inch rectangle. Cut in half crosswise, through paper. Peel off top sheet of paper and invert each rectangle onto a baking sheet. Peel off remaining paper. With a long, sharp knife, cut dough into 3/4- by 2-inch rectangles. Prick with a fork in parallel lines about 1/2 inch apart. Move rectangles about 1 inch apart.
- 3. Bake in a 300° oven until cookies are firm to touch and slightly darker brown, about 15 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking. With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool completely.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note