This recipe has a good foundation. The ingredients mostly work well together. However, there is one error. Pine nuts are not listed on the ingredient list but they're in the instructions. I just used a quarter cup and I toasted them in a small skillet first. I modified the recipe to use a cup of chopped onion in lieu of the onion powder. I also used 4 cloves of garlic to intensify that flavor a bit. I sautéed the onion and garlic in a small amount of olive oil, then added the chicken along with a healthy pinch of sea salt and a few grinds of fresh pepper. For the amount of broth, a little more rice could be used. Next time, I'll increase that by a 1/2 cup to give it a little more volume. Finally, I let the rice go until it was almost cooked and only added the broccoli in the last 5 minutes so that it did not over cook. It steamed up quickly with a lid on the skillet. The thyme gave it a delicious flavor. Everyone in my family gobbled it up!
Brown Rice with Chicken and Broccoli
Community Recipe from
- 3 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) onion powder
- 8 ounce(s) boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 cup(s) long grain brown rice
- 3 cup(s) broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped thyme
- Bring 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook about 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken, rice and broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 30 minutes. Add broccoli and continue to cook about 15 minutes or until broccoli and rice are tender and all liquid is absorbed. Remove covered pot from heat and let sit 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with a fork. Stir in thyme and pine nuts and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Vixxenesque and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Brown Rice with Chicken and Broccoli Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables