Brown Rice, Rice Pudding
Just made this brown rice, rice pudding this morning. I have had the bag of brown rice for a while and decided I need to learn how to cook brown rice, and quit being a weany. Just do exactly what the recipe says....turned out great...made a lot, but I've read you can freeze it, but I like it so much, I'm guessing it won't make it to the freezer.
Yield: 1 serving
Community Recipe from
- 4 cup(s) water
- 1 cup(s) brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter
- 4 cup(s) whole milk (although any type will work
- 2 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) honey
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch(s) cardamon (if you have it)
- 1/2 cup(s) dried fruit (raisins, cherries, cranberries etc.
- Rinse brown rice in a strainer under cold water for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Stir in brown rice and salt. Turn flame down to medium and simmer rice, uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 30 minutes, drain rice and water. Let rice sit in strainer for 10 seconds and then return to the pot you cooked it in (not over a flame) and immediately put a tight fitting lid on the pot. Let rice rest and steam for 10 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked, place it in a bowl and set aside. Add 4 cups of milk, sugar, honey, cinnamon stick, pinch of cardamom and vanilla bean to the pan. Bring to a very low boil, stirring often so the milk doesn’t burn. Add the cooked rice, butter and cherries to the hot milk. Stir often. Don’t ignore the milk or it might boil to furiously and curdle. Simmer until the milk cooks down and the rice is creamy, about 30 minutes. Place in a large bowl or serving dishes to cool. Serve cold or at room temperature.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by breannrozell and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note