We are trying to find ways of adding veggies that we usually don't eat to our diet. I bought an eggplant (because it was on sale and looked nice) and didn't quite know what to do with it (did I mention I'm just learning how to cook?). This was a great recipe for eggplant, and since most of the other items are staples in our home, it came together easily. Next time I will also add some squash and zucchini to incorporate more veggies.
Brown Rice Penne with Eggplant
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 353
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 11.5g
- Carbohydrate: 56.3g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 430mg
- Calcium: 202mg
- 1 (16-ounce) package brown rice penne (or ziti)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cubed eggplant (about 1 small)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (26-ounce) jar fat-free pasta sauce (such as Muir Glen Organic)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) preshredded Italian-blend or Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add eggplant and onion; sauté 8 minutes or until onion is browned. Stir in garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and pasta sauce; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
- Toss eggplant mixture with pasta. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese; toss gently. Top evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Serve immediately.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes