- 1 (16-ounce) package brown rice penne (or ziti)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cubed eggplant (about 1 small)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (26-ounce) jar fat-free pasta sauce (such as Muir Glen Organic)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) preshredded Italian-blend or Parmesan cheese, divided
- calories 353
- caloriesfromfat 18 %
- fat 7.1 g
- satfat 3.1 g
- monofat 2.7 g
- polyfat 0.4 g
- protein 11.5 g
- carbohydrate 56.3 g
- fiber 5 g
- cholesterol 17 mg
- iron 4.2 mg
- sodium 430 mg
- calcium 202 mg
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add eggplant and onion; sauté 8 minutes or until onion is browned. Stir in garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and pasta sauce; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
Toss eggplant mixture with pasta. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese; toss gently. Top evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Serve immediately.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.