This was pretty time consuming and extremely bland - blah tasting. I'd rather just eat the sauce over rice than go through all the trouble of making the pancakes. I had to cook mine 7 mins a side so that was a total of 45mins including the sauce plus you have to have the rice cooked in advance. Skip this recipe.
Brown Rice and Mushroom Pancakes
Unlike our other recipes, these crunchy pancakes are cooked over medium-high heat. Extra mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers sautéed for the pancake base are reserved for a simple sauce that complements the pancakes.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 315
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 10.4g
- Carbohydrate: 46.6g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 106mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 651mg
- Calcium: 48mg
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 5 cups thinly sliced mushrooms (12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper; cook 10 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in thyme, salt, and black pepper. Remove 1 cup mushroom mixture, and set aside. Increase heat to medium-high. Add broth and cornstarch to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Keep warm.
- Combine reserved 1 cup mushroom mixture, brown rice, breadcrumbs, and eggs; mix well.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spoon about 1/2 cup rice batter per pancake onto hot pan, spreading each to a 4-inch diameter. Cook 5 minutes on each side or until bottoms are golden brown. Serve with mushroom sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This