Lentils are a wonderful substitute for chickpeas in this recipe! I added lemon juice for a smoother hummus. Excellent!
Brown Lentil Hummus with Toasted Pita Crisps
Lentils stand in for chickpeas in this variation on the Middle Eastern dip.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 2 1/2 tablespoons lentil mixture and 2 pita crisps)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 91
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 15.7g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 235mg
- Calcium: 12mg
- 5 cups water
- 2/3 cup dried brown lentils
- 3 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, each cut into 8 wedges
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Bring 5 cups water and 2/3 cup lentils to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
- 3. Arrange pita wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet; coat pita wedges with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with coriander and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bake pita wedges at 425° for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. Combine cooked lentils, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, juice, tahini, hot pepper sauce, and garlic in a food processor; process until smooth. Spoon mixture into a bowl; cover and chill. Sprinkle lentil mixture with cilantro. Serve with pita crisps.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Brown Lentil Hummus with Toasted Pita Crisps Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Appetizers