Brown Butter Soda Bread
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/2 stick(s) unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper plus additional for topping
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1) Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Stir butter in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until melted and golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 2) Stir flour, oats, sugar, rosemary, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in large bowl to blend. Pour buttermilk and melted browned butter over flour mixture; stir with fork until flour mixture is moistened.
- 3) Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Knead gently until dough comes together, about 7 turns. Divide in half. Shape each half into ball; flatten each into 6-inch round. Place rounds on ungreased baking sheet, spacing 5 inches apart. Brush tops with beaten egg white. Sprinkle lightly with ground black pepper. Using small sharp knife, cut 1/2-inch-deep X in top of each dough round.
- 4) Bake breads until deep golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool breads on rack at least 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 2 loaves.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by EleanorCook and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Brown Butter Soda Bread Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breads