Better than mashed potatoes and my husband kept saying these were the best potatoes he had ever had and I finally told him at the end. We used fresh chives from the garden and no-fat sour cream. We'll be serving this for thanksgiving to our dieting friends! One to keep for the recipe file. Used two small heads of cauliflower.
Brown Butter Cauliflower Mash
This mashed cauliflower recipe is an alternative to mashed potatoes and features pureed cauliflower flavored with browned butter and Parmesan cheese.
This recipe goes with Brown Butter Cauliflower Soup
More From Southern Living
- 1 head medium cauliflower (about 2 lb.), chopped*
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Garnish: fresh chives
- 1. Fill a large Dutch oven with water to depth of 1/4 inch. Arrange cauliflower in Dutch oven. Cook, covered, over medium-high heat 7 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. Process cauliflower, sour cream, salt, and pepper in a food processor 30 seconds to 1 minute or until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Stir in Parmesan cheese and chives. Place in a bowl.
- 3. If desired, microwave mixture at HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring at 1-minute intervals.
- 4. Cook butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes or until butter begins to turn golden brown. Remove from heat, and immediately drizzle butter over cauliflower mixture. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
- *2 (16-oz.) bags frozen cauliflower may be substituted. Cook cauliflower according to package directions. Proceed with recipe as directed, beginning with Step 2.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note