Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 cup(s) water, lukewarm
- 2 teaspoon(s) white sugar
- 2 teaspoon(s) bakers yeast
- 1 cup(s) rolled oats
- 2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter
- 2 cup(s) water, boiling
- 2/3 cup(s) molasses
- 2 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 4 cup(s) white flour
- In a small bowl, combine lukewarm water with 2 tsp of sugar. Once sugar dissolves, sprinkle yeast on top. Set aside.
- Mix together rolled oats and salt in a large bowl; add butter. Boil water and pour 2 cups of boiling water over oat mixture, stirring to melt butter. Cool to lukewarm. Add yeast mixture, then molasses, then whole wheat flour. Gradually stir in white flour, kneading dough in bowl several times to work in all the flour. Dough will be slightly sticky, but if too sticky, add more flour. Divide dough in half, and then quarters; shape each section into a smooth ball. Let rest for a few minutes. Grease two loaf pans with shortening, and then grease each dough ball prior to placing in pans (two balls per pan). Cover with a dry tea towel and let rise until double in bulk (about 90 minutes).
- Bake bread in preheated 350 F oven for 45 - 60 minutes (bread should be browned and sound hollow when tapped on the top). Remove immediately from pans and brush butter over the sides and top of each loaf. Cut into thick slices to serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by SifterBentley and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note