- 1 (2-pound) boneless top sirloin steak, 2 inches thick
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup water
How to Make It
Place sirloin on a well-greased rack in a shallow roasting pan about 5 inches from heating element. Broil 10 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove steak to a warm serving platter.
Sauté mushrooms, onion, and garlic in butter in a medium saucepan over low heat until vegetables are tender. Add flour; stir until smooth. Cook over medium heat 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add tomato paste, salt, and pepper; stir until well blended. Gradually add wine and water, stirring constantly until well blended. Cover and cook over low heat 20 minutes. Spoon sauce over steak to serve.