Broiled Sardines with Mustard-Shallot Crumbs
Star Ingredient: Bela-Olhão Portugal Lightly Smoked Sardines in Olive Oil
Yield: 6 first-course servings
- 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced, slices separated into rings
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Four 4- to 4 1/2-ounce cans of large sardines in olive oil-drained, halved lengthwise and boned
- 1. Preheat the broiler. In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mustard, the parsley, butter, shallot and crushed red pepper. Season lightly with salt.
- 2. In a medium, shallow baking dish, whisk the heavy cream with the remaining 1 tablespoon of mustard.
- 3. Arrange the sardines in the baking dish, skin side down. Scatter the bread-crumb mixture on top. Broil the sardines 6 inches from the heat for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until heated through and golden brown. Serve at once.
- Wine Recommendation: A tart, palate-cleansing Italian white will check the assertive flavors here. Consider the 2002 Kris Pinot Grigio or the 2002 Anselmi Capitel Foscarino.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This