My husband made this for me as a date night treat. The space from the broiler might be important because ours turned out perfectly. The bourbon sauce is divine and I admit that it was used on many a bowl of ice cream afterwards.
Broiled Pineapple with Bourbon Caramel over Vanilla Ice Cream
Photo: Quentin Bacon; Styling: Philippa Brathwaite
Sugar-coated fruit caramelizes beautifully under the broiler, deepening and intensifying its flavor.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 309
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 61g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 48mg
- Calcium: 86mg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons bourbon, divided
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cored
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups vanilla fat-free ice cream
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
- 1. Combine granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons bourbon, 3 tablespoons water, and juice in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; cook 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and cook, without stirring, 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from heat. Carefully add cream, stirring constantly (mixture will bubble vigorously). Cool slightly. Stir in remaining 2 teaspoons bourbon and vanilla.
- 2. Preheat broiler to high.
- 3. Cut pineapple lengthwise into 12 slices; cut each slice in half crosswise. Arrange pineapple on a foil-lined broiler pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with brown sugar. Broil 5 inches from heat for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. Scoop 1/3 cup ice cream into each of 6 bowls. Arrange 4 pineapple slices in each bowl; top each serving with 2 1/2 tablespoons caramel sauce. Sprinkle each serving with 2 teaspoons coconut; serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This