Broiled Oysters with Celery Cream and Virginia Ham
- 3 dozen fresh oysters, in the shell
- Rock salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley stems
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 ounces Virginia ham, diced
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, chopped celery root
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Scrub oysters with a stiff brush under running water. Insert an oyster knife into the hinged edge of each oyster; twist knife handle back and forth until top shell is loose. Slide oyster knife along the bottom of the shell to detach muscle. Remove and discard top shell; drain and reserve 1 cup oyster liquor. Keep oysters in the deeper bottom shell. Arrange oysters over rock salt in a jellyroll pan; chill.
- Combine 1 cup oyster liquor, 1 cup cream, and next 5 ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until thickened. Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl. Stir in ham, celery, and pepper; set celery cream aside.
- Cook celery root in boiling water to cover 10 minutes or until tender; drain. Place celery root, 1/4 cup cream, butter, and salt in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon celery root puree under each reserved oyster in the shell. Top with 1 teaspoon reserved celery cream. Broil 3 inches from heat for 5 minutes or until bubbly. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Broiled Oysters with Celery Cream and Virginia Ham Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Hors d'Oeuvres, Main Dishes
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining
- CUISINE: New England, British/Irish
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Dairy, Shellfish
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Gluten-Free
- OCCASION: Autumn, Winter, Weddings, Christmas, New Year's, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Coastal Living
More Recipes Like This