This was really good. So good that I'm thinking about it the next morning. I actually roasted the tomatoes first and then was afraid they'd be too dry so I added some fresh tomatoes in and they were all perfect and delicious. The only negative I have is that the meat would be so much better grilled, but then I'm not a huge fan of broiling anyway.
Broiled Flank Steak with Warm Tomato Topping
Let the steak stand while you heat the topping. Fill out the meal with orzo, and garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs, if desired.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 194
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 25.3g
- Carbohydrate: 4.3g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 514mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and red pepper; sprinkle evenly over steak. Place steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 10 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning once. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and jalapeño to pan; cook 1 minute. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon cumin, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and tomatoes to pan; cook 3 minutes or until tomatoes begin to soften. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro. Serve tomato topping with steak.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note