- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon five-spice powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Two 1 1/2-pound heads of broccoli--stalks peeled, heads cut lengthwise into large pieces
How to Make It
In a heatproof bowl, combine the orange zest and sesame oil. In a saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over moderate heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the ginger, crushed red pepper and five-spice powder and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the orange juice and boil over moderately high heat until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir the orange juice mixture into the zest and season with salt and pepper.
In a saucepan, steam the broccoli until just tender, about 8 minutes.
Transfer the steamed broccoli to a warmed platter, spoon the orange-chile oil on top and serve.
Make Ahead: The orange-chile oil can be refrigerated for 3 days.